Bringing Baby Home

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Biblical Foundation for Adoption

I have thought a lot about this subject since we first started really discussing adopting. I've scoured God's word to find what He has to say about it. And since I have, I can say that I sincerely believe that He would have all who are able participate in adoption.

I'm so interested in how often the bible talks about who God is in conjunction with Him caring deeply for the orphaned.
  • "...You have been the helper of the orphan." Ps. 10:14
  • "He executes justice for the orphan and the widow and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing." Deut 10:18
  • "A Father of the fatherless and a Judge for the widows is God in His holy habitation." Ps. 68:5
  • "The Lord protects the strangers, He supports the fatherless and the widow, but He thwarts the way of the wicked." Ps. 146:9
  • God has offered salvation to us through His son... WE are adopted!!
I believe God our Father deeply understands what it would be to be lost without the protection that parents are meant to provide for us. Because He understands, He cares. And because He cares, He protects, supports, fathers, and helps children who are alone. Doesn't it make sense that if it is a part of our Creator's character that He would call us to make it a part of ours as well?
  • "And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me." Mat. 18:5
  • "For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me;I was sick, and you visited Me;" Mat. 25:35,36 "...Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me." Mat. 25:40
  • Regarding the "capable wife": "She extends her hand to the poor, and she stretches her hands to the needy." Prov. 31:20
  • "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." James 1:27
  • (This verse in particular interests me because it says THE womb, not MY womb.) "Behold, children are a gift fo the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward."


If you want to read more about the biblical foundation for adoption, you can go to http://www.ppl.org/adopt.html . I personally thought it was pretty interesting. :)


I am so thankful that God has given me a heart for adoption. I've got a feeling that this little boy is going to be a HUGE blessing!

1 Comments:

Blogger triplejwharris said...

I'm posting this comment so late that I'm not sure you will even see it, but I just wanted you to know that reading all the Bible study, prayer and thought you have put into this process is a HUGE blessing to me. It has been so exciting to watch God work in your lives over the last several years!

January 15, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home