Bringing Baby Home

Monday, February 1, 2010

Brenner's Day







I know it might be the "wrong" thing to say, (I find that usually the wrong thing to say is something everyone is thinking or feeling but unwilling to share) but there's something about losing the family of three to a family of four that makes my heart ache. Don't get me wrong, I so love the idea of being a family of four and finally having Berynger home, but there are some very special and treasured dynamics that we have enjoyed for the last three years that will soon be lost in the transition. So, yesterday we had a special day for Brenner as a celebration of one of our last days as a family of three. I figure no longer being the center of attention all the time is going to be a little rough on Brenner, so we wanted our sweet boy to have some fun before we leave for Ethiopia. We started out by going to the McDonald's play place at Brenner's request. Later, at home we had ice cream sundaes. We spread out all kinds of toppings and let Brenner choose whatever he wanted to have on his, and you know how a three year old loves choices! And for bedtime, Thomas and Brenner set up the tent in the living room and we had a family campout, complete with thunder storm tracks playing in the background. Brenner's really special day ended up being a really special day for all of us.

12 Comments:

Blogger The Taupes said...

That's so sweet. What a great idea! Good luck on your journey. We're just two weeks behind you in travel group #4.
-Michelle
http://thetaupesadopt.blogspot.com/

February 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger The Fortenberrys said...

I remember before having Avery feeling that same way. Every night I would put Kinsey to bed I would just stare at her and think this could have been our last day together. It really is a feeling you never expect to feel but it's just there. What a special day and it looks like Brenner was in heaven!

February 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Nicollini said...

yay! that makes my heart smile! you are SUCH good parents!

February 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow that was very elequently put and sounds like your last day of three was great for all. You are so lucky and Brenner is very lucky as well he may not realize it now but he is now and will ever be the big brother and he will be the one to teach his younger brother new things. Yes you are all very lucky and your journey is just beginning. Love you and be safe.

February 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger _ said...

There's a poem called, "Loving Two" that's about the change from one child to two. You should google it or I could email it to you. It's nice a poem, and I think a common sentiment. Two is different and at first it is challenging, but you'll come through on the other side so grateful for the new relationships.

February 2, 2010 at 4:40 AM  
Blogger George said...

I absolutely love this...Brenner Day is brilliant! And there's nothing wrong at all about celebrating the special dynamic you have had as a family of three...nothing wrong at all with that...I can completely relate to this. Best of luck as you get ready to head out to ET!!!

February 2, 2010 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Our journey to Ethiopia said...

What a great idea! You guys are great, I'm so excited to meet Berynger. Love you guys and I'm praying for you.

February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

It definitely is a transition - even though it's amazing & you wouldn't change it, it's still different to go from 1 child to two. What a cool idea to have a special day just for him! The tent idea is so fun!

February 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger The Harvey Family said...

I know this feeling. From the day that we found out that we were going to be having an other baby and even when it was just a thought. My tummy turned and my heart hurt to think that it was not going to be just me and Emma at home everyday. But when little Hailey came, everything felt right. God has His plan and we are all so blessed to be living in it. Love you guys, we will be praying for all you while you are on your journy.

February 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's such a sweet memory to have. He'll always be your firstborn, your oldest and there is something very sweet about that...something that no one can take away. Best of luck as you transition to 4...safe travels!

February 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger triplejwharris said...

I think that was a perfect idea! And so much fun. Each new season of life, even when it is a wonderful change, brings an end to another season. Nothing wrong with celebrating the greatness of the BB time (before Bear, or before big-brotherhood) before the new time begins!
I'm praying for you guys all the time this week!

February 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Pastor Myron said...

My prayers for you are filled with emotion and anticipation. Emotion, because it was 33 years ago that we adopted Karisa and the flood of feelings about that overwhelmed me as I prayede for you. Anticipation, because I'm looking forward to the day I get to meet the "special one" that God is bringing into your life and into your loving care. God is so good! PTL for Berynger! PTL that he is blessed with you, Sarah and Thomas, as his parents and Brenner for a big brother.

February 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home