Bringing Baby Home

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Home

DISCLAIMER: I'm going to be incredibly honest in this post. I'm going to share things that we experienced that either most adoptive parents don't feel, or most adoptive parents don't talk about. Don't judge me! :)

Our trip was amazing, perfect even, right up until we took custody of Bear. All our flights over were all on time and efficient, we got lots of sleep during our travel, and all our bags made it to Ethiopia. Neither of us got sick (like so many of the families do when traveling to Ethiopia), Bear was super super healthy, and so many of our prayers were answered along the way.

Then we took custody.

Now, for us, loving a baby in a picture, and ooh-ing and awww-ing over his sweet cheeks and darling eyes is a whole lot different than liking a baby who needs something from you every moment of the day and night. No matter how cute he is.

I thought that from the moment I saw his referral picture I would not only love him to infinity, but I would like him too. I am still struggling with liking him. When he came back to the hotel with us, the first day was bliss, but on the second day, reality set in. It was really hard for lots of reasons. He's crawling, and there were lots of things in the hotel that he was not supposed to be touching for safety reasons. But there was nothing we could do about it because it was the hotel. When it was time to lay him down, he'd just climb right out of the moses basket that the hotel had provided for him to sleep in. He made noise ALL the time. He would get mad for what seemed like no reason and then arch his back and scream. His cry was like no cry I'd ever heard and incredibly irritating. He pulled my hair all the time, and he has an iron grip. Nursing him was (and half the time still is) one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. It's really hard getting to a place where you enjoy a baby that you don't know or understand yet. I don't know his cues, his schedule, why he's crying when he's crying, or understand the things he does, and I don't know how to fix things when they are wrong.

Through all of it I kept thinking "We just have to make it home."

But making it home was no small feat. We left Ethiopia Friday evening (Friday morning PST) and arrived home on Sunday morning around three. Our first flight was 17 hours. On that flight, Bear magically developed explosive diarrhea and pooped through two sets of clothes and on the only set of clothes that I had. When our plane landed we had two hours to make it through customs and immigration, collect our checked bags, recheck our bags, and make it to our gate. (While we were in the customs line, Berynger pooped through his third set of clothes and onto Thomas' only set of clothes.) Thomas had asked our travel agent if we would have time and she said "Oh yes.... you'll have plenty of time!" We didn't, and we missed our connecting flight and had a united agent reschedule it for that evening. When the time came to get to our gate, we found our flight had been delayed which meant that we would miss the connecting flight after that. So we rescheduled again. We ended up spending somewhere around 11 hours in the D.C. airport. Our flight out to San Francisco was delayed, but we did finally make it out of D.C. Then our flight from San Francisco to Seattle was delayed, and by that time I just couldn't believe all the missed, changed, and rescheduled flights. After all was said and done, we traveled for somewhere around 41 hours straight. With a new baby.

We finally made it home and are resting up. And we seriously need rest.

Now that we are home, we are all trying to get back on the right time zone. Things look a lot worse when everyone in the house is lacking sleep. And Thomas and I are still trying to figure Bear out and vice versa. Nursing is still a constant struggle, but one that I am not willing to lose just yet. (I've worked way too hard and long to nurse him to give up now.)

This adoption has been the most difficult and trying thing I have ever gone through, which was a surprise because I wasn't prepared for any of this. I thought that adoption would be all lollipops and roses because that seems to be all that any one talks about. I hope that this post will not scare any one away from adoption, but that it will help prepare other prospective adoptive parents for the possible difficulties when you bring your child home.

On a lighter note...

My sweet sister in law, Sara, met us at the airport on short notice to take pictures for us of Brenner welcoming his new baby brother home. Thank you, so much, Sara for doing this!

Now to the part of the post you've all been waiting for... pictures!

23 Comments:

Blogger Momma C said...

Sarah- what you are feeling is totally normal- adoption is hard in a way that no one who hasn't gone through it can understand. When we adopted our first, she did nothing but scream (to the point of vomiting) any time I set her down. It was even worse when we adopted Kennedy in Ethiopia, she wouldn't accept a bottle (period) and feeding her from those little cups was almost impossible since I didn't know how she liked it. She refused to eat anything from a spoon with me. It was so bad I contacted a friend (who has experience with feeding issues) pretty much meet us at our house when we got home cause she wasn't eating. But we got through it- there were lots of tears (hers and mine) but we figured each other out. I know this doesn't help much now but it will get better now that you are home. Bear is grieving and trying to process the change in his life, you are trying to get to know him and reconnect with Brenner all while being completely sleep deprived. Focus on getting everyone back on US time first- it is all much easier after the jet lag goes away. I wish I could help more but you are not alone- we have ALL gone through it and although not everyone will be honest, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, trust your instincts, and when all else fails "fake it till you make it" One day (not far off) you will realize that all the pieces have fallen together, as opposed to falling apart. It is hard, but you will find your way.
(and take up any and all offers to help). Let me know if you come back towards Ohio to see Thomas's family. We would love to meet our newest cousin.

By the way- Bear is the cutest thing ever!

February 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Nicollini said...

wow! I don't really know what to say except that I love you, and I think that you guys adopting is an amazing thing. It's hard now, but I know that it will get better. God has His hand in this, that is for certain, and He is not going to give you more than you can handle. If you need anything, seriously don't hesitate to ask, we are a phone call or just a couple of hours drive away...I love you!
~Nicolle
PS I think he is adorable!!

February 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia said...

I'm just trying to expect not knowing what to expect. Especially with any child other than a newborn you have schedule and bonding issues...it make me scared! BUT I am so proud of you for doing the nursing. I had a rough go nursing 2 of my kiddos and tried and tried...only made it 6 and 8 months with them.

Here's hoping that everyone settles in easily and QUICKLY!

P.S. I thought it was harder to go from 1 to 2 kids than it was 0 to 1!!!

February 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

What a beautiful family. Praying for rest and figuring each other out...it will come, I'm sure

February 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Pearce Photography said...

I love you so much. The Lord has put you on my heart for the past 2 days and I cannot stop thinking and saying little prayers for you throughout the day.

I am SO glad Sarah was able to go take pictures, but I'm still heart-broken I couldn't. :( I had seriously been wanting to do that since the day you were thinking about adopting! Oh well, we have many more pictures in the future. He is so cute, I cannot wait to hold him!

Please call me if you need to vent about nursing, or feel that I could be of any help in that area. Don't give up just yet sweetie, its only been a few days...he hasn't nursed before so he's learning too! :)

It will be rough, and probably survival mode for these first few weeks. You will make it! Don't worry about calling or texting or messaging until you are rested and not about to fall to pieces. Love you.

February 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Hang in there girl! :) Things were really rough when we brought Mikayla home, and it didn't even hit the "all time low" point until we had been home for 2 weeks... the "low point" then lasted until about the 6 week mark. There were good moments mixed in there, but mostly those weeks were just really tough. I hear ya, and will be praying for you. There is a light at the end of the tunnel :) Thanks for being so vulnerable and honest!!

February 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It didn't occur to you that child rearing was going to be hard work? Especially with a child who is traumatised and who will have attachment issues?

Also how do you know he hasn't been trafficked?

Adoptive parents are so entitled and clueless really,

February 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you kidding me with this "woe is me" shit? really? you go and buy a kid from a foreign country, take it away from everything it's ever known, bring it to america, give it a boob that's as foreign as the new country, and you wanna know why he's PISSED??????????

are you REALLY this stupid?

February 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Hope Symes said...

Sarah first of all I would like to say he is SOOO cute. I'm sure Brenner is in love with him. Things will get easier as you have time to get to know each other and get into a routine. Congratulations!

February 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger The Earnhardt Family said...

Oh my sweet sweet Sarah. You are a rock! I am praying overtime for you all right now. I don't have any great words of wisdom. Sorry. Just know that I am here to help however I can. And no judgements here! Call me if you want me and Isabella to come over one morning this week and help entertain for an hour or something. I also have a couple of meals in my freezer that I would love to bring over so let me know. A cheese manicotti and a lasagne. Can't wait to see you.

February 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Sarah, don't ever feel sorry for what you are feeling. They are your feelings and your whole life has been turned upside down. Of course it is going to take some time for everyone to adjust. You and Thomas are so brave and so strong and you will get through this.
Please do not hesitate to call me. You know Brenner loves coming over to play. I would be more then happy to come and pick him for an afternoon. Just say the word.
I've been wanting to call and check in on you but I haven't wanted to interrupt your family time.
Love you guys! We have been praying for you.

February 17, 2010 at 1:29 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sarah, I'm so glad you all made it home- and I thought our trip was long. I totally understand your challenges and have felt those things myself, I've just been too tired to put it to words. On our first flight home, my mom and my daughter threw up and we all cried- not a fun moment. Figuring out her schedule has been a challenge. She screams and arches, too, for no reason. I don't know how long attachement takes but I have confidence that the God who led us to adopt will lead us through these challenging days, too.

February 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I want you to know (not that it means much coming from a complete stranger but...) that I think you are incredibly brave!!!

1) for wanting to adopt at all
2) for wanting to adopt a child from a different country
3) for wanting to nurse!
4) for loving this child even if you don't "like" him yet ; )
and last but not least...
5) for being so honest and vulnerable!!!

QUICK!!! Go delete the retarded comments!!!

Hang in there, gal! Going from one to two kids is definitely the hardest transition (for anyone). We had a hard time liking our second son,too, even though our blood ran through his veins! It was a difficult, tumultuous time for us and he was a very fussy baby. We didn't feel "at home" with him until about month 4.

Will be praying for you and keeping up with your journey!

February 17, 2010 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Pearce Photography said...

I totally agree, regardless of adoption or actually birthing a child into your family, going from one kid to two is SO hard! 2-3 was easy-peasy! Add not knowing the baby and his cues/cries and fostering attatchment on top of that has got to be overwhelming. Hang in there sis. :)

February 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger George said...

Sorry you got some crappy comments from people. The adoption process is very emotional for all involved...it will take time to adjust to one another...learn about one another...feel comfortable and comforted by each other.

Praying everything falls into place for your dear family of four.

By the way, Bear is a ham! Love all the pics you posted of your family.

February 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Erimentha said...

"I thought that adoption would be all lollipops and roses because that seems to be all that any one talks about."
If you did just a little bit of reading around the internet you would no that this is soooo not true. There are plenty of blogs written by adoptive parents and adoptees telling the truth about how hard adoption is but most potential adoptive parents just don't want to know. I applaud you for putting this out there and hope that it does give some people pause and makes them reconsider pulling an innocent child out of the only world they know in the arrogant belief that you can give them a better life.

February 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger Sharilyn Wells said...

Wow....who's this Jeni girl? Any who, I am SO proud of you and your family!!! Bear is adorable and it looks like Brenner is going to be a great big brother! Hang in there and keep it up! You are a strong girl, kiddo! Miss you and tell the family hi!

February 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger triplejwharris said...

Obedience to God is never easy, frequently misunderstood, and often not popular. I am so proud of you both. I have always loved the way that you are always real, even when it isn't pretty. I've been praying for your family every day since before you left for Ethiopia. And I will keep praying. Transitions bring powerful transformation! Philippians 1:6

So, my question is: does having the negative comments hurt your heart and bring you down, or does it bring out that fighting, independent Sarah, who can conquer anything she faces in God's strength?

Thanks for the great pictures! Sara is amazing. I know it will be a while before you are able, but I can't wait to see you guys in person.

February 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha ha lollipops and roses...NOT! :) We look back fondly at the bumps in the road when we have our children though. You have a beautiful family!

February 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Momma C said...

I don't know if you are even still reading the comments to this thread and it sounds like things are going better but if it helps I found this on another blog

http://www.lovely-chaos.com/2010/02/faking-it.html

Thinking of you

February 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Rosana said...

Hi Sarah. I came across your post from the Holt forum that we are both a part of and I just want you to know how much I appreciate what you have shared with all of us. I have no feelings of judgment towards you at all. Instead, I'm grateful for how real you've been. I am in the process of adopting a boy from Ethiopia and I may also experience challenges similar to yours. Thank you for shedding some light on what could possibly occur. No judgment here, just gratitude and appreciation for your honesty.

Hang in there,
Rosana in CA

February 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you start moderating your comments and completely disregard the hateful, ignorant things people are saying. Don't listen to them. Continually referring to a child as "it" doesn't really show any regard for that child as a person. And making blanket accusations against someone without knowing them certainly sounds like the epitome of arrogance to me.

Thank you for being so open and honest and sharing your struggles with the more difficult, real-world side of adoption. Praying for a more smooth transition.

February 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

You are amazing, brave, honest (and so many other things I'm sure). Keep your head up and know that there are many supportive, loving people willing to lend an ear (or eye for reading) and provide rational advice. i recently experienced some pretty extreme and overwhelming emotions during our daughter's first birthday. I anticipated those emotions to some degree but...

Hugs to you and your family

February 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home